‘Speculator (n) – One who engages in business risk for financial gain’


We are here to help and guide you through not only your first, but also successive property developments.  Almost all the material on the site is free and we very much hope you find it of value.  If there is a particular subject you would like covered, please get in touch at mail@thepropertyspeculator.co.uk.

Site Resources:



Securing development finance

Establishing build/renovation costs

Property valuation using Discounted Cash Flow (DCF)

Placing a value on a property



10 Common Planning Permission Pitfalls and how to avoid them

A quick guide to planning conditions

Podcast with Ryan Fuller of The Fuller-Long Partnership



Creating a contract with your builder

Calculating build costs

Understanding Building Regulations

Contaminated land



Developing a mixed-use property

Purchasing a property-based business

The Investment method of property valuation

3 principles to guard against property investment scams



About Me

My name is Doug Parker and I hope to pro­vide you with the infor­ma­tion you are likely to need to begin your ven­ture into prop­erty spec­u­la­tion. I hold a BSc (Hons) in Prop­erty Man­age­ment from The Uni­ver­sity of Read­ing (acknowl­edged as being one of very finest insti­tu­tions for property-related stud­ies in the world). I also hold a Post-Grad Diploma covering Construction Law, Development Appraisal and Acquisition/Disposal of Land and Real Estate.  I am a Member of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (MRICS)  I  am a Com­mer­cial Sur­veyor, work­ing with cor­po­rate clients to nego­ti­ate the best terms avail­able to them and plans that fit in with their busi­nesses.

It’s taken me a few years to learn what I know about prop­erty.   How­ever, it will not take you as long as that.  I fil­ter out all the super­flu­ous infor­ma­tion, to allow you to absorb only what you will need.

Many peo­ple under­stand that prop­erty invest­ment and devel­op­ment is a very shrewd way of mak­ing money. How­ever, mis­takes can be expen­sive and this pre­vents many peo­ple from get­ting started. There are a lot of peo­ple who sim­ply do not know where to start.

That’s where ’The Prop­erty Spec­u­la­tor’ comes in!

I am con­fi­dent that if pri­vate prop­erty investors and devel­opers run their ven­tures with the same approach as the pro­fes­sion­als, they stand a far higher chance of being successful.